SS Cotavia 1917
U/W photo Steve Clarkson Porthole Callum Beveridge
SS Cotavia was a British Transport ship built by Irvine Shipbuilding & Drydock Co. (Sunderland) in 1911. She was owned by Frumentun S.S. Co. Ltd London. She was 4020 Gross Tonnes with a Triple expansion engine and three boilers. On 22 July 1917 SS Cotavia was sunk by a mine south east of Auskerry in the Orkney Islands laid by German U-Boat UC-49 . UC-49 now lies in 50m of water off Dartmouth in Devon having been sunk by British Destroyer ‘Opossum’.
The Cotavia was on route from Arkhandelsk making for Dundee with a cargo of Flax.
The wreck today is very broken up as if it had been opened up with a can opener. She lies in 41m of water with her boilers rising 12m from the seabed. There is still plenty to see around the boilers and engine as she is not often dived.
For more information select the images below:
Type: transport / Cargo ship
Propulsion: steam (Richardsons, Westgarth & Co., Middlesbrough)
Date built: 1911
Builder: Irvine’s Shipbuilding & Drydock Co. Ltd., West Hartlepool (Sunderland)
Owner: Frumentum S.S. Co. Ltd, London
Tonnage: 4020 grt
Dimensions: 112.8 x 15.9 x 7.5 m
Engine: 1 x 3 cyl. triple expansion steam engine, 3 single boilers, 9 corrugated furnaces, single shaft, 1 screw
Power: 375 n.h.p.
Speed: 11 knots
Yard no.: 506
IMO/Off. no.: 132617
Depth (m.): 26-37 m